Some choose to give birth at their own home. In some contries, it is still the norm to have baby at home, unless there are complications.
Advantage of Home birth:
- Statistics show that planned home birth attended by Certified Nurse-Midwife is as safe as hospital birth for low-risk women with adequate prenatal care. Studies show that the risk of infection is reduced for both the mother and the baby.
- At home a woman can labor and birth in the privacy and comfort of the familiar surroundings of her own home, surrounded by loved-ones. in whatever positions and attire she finds most comfortable.
- Care-givers are invited guests in the birthing woman's home. She can have anyone she desires present: family, friends, children, etc. She doesn't have to worry about when to go to the hospital since her care-providers come to her.
The cost of a home birth may be less than a hospital birth, and is covered by some insurance.
Disadvantage of Home Birth:
- Cesarean Section and forceps deliveries are unavailable - transportation to the hospital is necessary if these interventions are required.
- Client's must assume a greater level of responsibility for their own health: physical, mental and spiritual. This requires active ongoing participation in decision making in all aspects of their care, and a willingness to accept the consequences of those choices and decisions.
- The cost of a home birth may not be covered by the client's insurance.
- Analgesics are not readily available with a home birth